A sixteenth inch of grace.

I work in the construction sector. Primarily dealing with customers who have or will spend a large amount of money on something they need for their house. Frequently, I have unhappy people on the other end of the phone. "The order came in wrong" "they didn't show up on time" "no one called me"... Usually that's what I hear. In all fair and reasonableness, I can understand the frustration. You should receive better service than that, sir or ma'am. But how is that supposed to translate when you claim to Love God and Love People?

You give them more than a sixteenth inch of grace. 
Let me state it a different way, you give them more grace than what is reasonable. 

I have had several instances where a customer claimed to Love God and People, but was demeaning, unkind, and yet said they were exercising grace. Uh, no you didn't. Giving someone grace does not give you the right to complain, be ugly about something that didn't quite go right, or withhold loving (and sweet) truthful instruction to make someone's life easier. 

Exercising grace means you lovingly, calmly, patiently, bear with your brother or sister and give them a chance to grow. But this way of thinking is not fair. By any stretch of the imagination is it fair. 

“Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.”
Proverbs 16:24 ESV

Think through this with me, if my sister sins in a way that is offensive to me, how should I respond?
I would like to tell her off. But that only demeans her, and doesn't allow for heart change. 
I would let her continue in it. But that doesn't point her to the one who she's really sinning against.
I would show her my concern, tell her the loving truth, and pray earnestly for her soul. 

The last one requires more time, more effort, and isn't fair. Mainly because it isn't about you. If we started to look at the unfair, incorrect, frustrating moments as an opportunity to show more than a sixteenth inch of grace.. I honestly believe we would be in a much better position as people who truly Love God and Love People. 

“We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil.”
1 Thessalonians 5:12-22 ESV

Let me be transparent with you for a moment. I run on empty more times than I'd care to admit. I am still growing in this area, exercising grace. Because honestly, I fail at it. I will happily take the blame for having shortcomings here. But if we as a body of believers do not fix this problem, the world will be correct in saying that being a Christian isn't worth crap if they treat each other with such hate. Jesus did not call us to live that way. The change starts with me, the change starts with you. 

Let's give more than a sixteenth inch of grace.




Popular posts from this blog

Listening.

You've been assigned.. 1 Corinthians 7:17

Future Pastor, or Ministry Leader {This One's for You}