You've been assigned.. 1 Corinthians 7:17

I am currently struggling. I am tired and weak. My heart is broken, and I am at a vulnerable spot in my life. Trust me on this one, it's not a fun spot to be in.

However, God in his faithfulness has shown me abundant truth. He alone has taken this heart and comforted it beyond belief. I look forward to getting into the Word of God every day, because I know that if I don't, I'll burst into tears.

Now that I've come right out and said that, onto a quick story...

I went to American Eagle yesterday. I needed to pick up a pair of shorts (on sale of course) that I can wear to camp.  We all know American Eagle's marketing slogan "Live your life.." Well, that simple little marketing ploy reminds me of something Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 7.

"Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him.This is my rule in all the churches." 1 Corinthians 7:17 (ESV)
Here's a paraphrased version...
"And don’t be wishing you were someplace else or with someone else. Where you are right now is God’s place for you. Live and obey and love and believe right there. God, not your marital status, defines your life. Don’t think I’m being harder on you than on the others. I give this same counsel in all the churches." 
- Paul the Apostle (paraphrased by Eugene Peterson)

I don't think I can put into words exactly how I feel right now. But regardless of my feelings, God's Word trumps it. I have the desire to be married, I want to be a wife and a Mom one day. However, God has not called me to that right now. I cannot allow myself to fantasize being in a relationship, or wish I was married. That desire isn't wrong, but if it distracts me from serving, loving and worshipping the one who created my soul, then it is wrong (it's an idol).  GOD has something for me to do. HE has called me for something right now. That is why Paul wants everyone to have the gift of singleness, so they are not distracted from God's work. If you are a married person, praise the Lord, for that is what He has called you for. If you are single, don't wish to be released of your (current) calling, God has a purpose for it.


Learning to live out my current calling,


post signature

Popular posts from this blog

Listening.

Future Pastor, or Ministry Leader {This One's for You}