Future Pastor, or Ministry Leader {This One's for You}
I go to a christian college. So, at any christian college there is a pastoral ministry major and other ministry majors. Unfortunately, some guys sign up not knowing what they are doing.
I see these guys everyday. I love the fact that they do indeed try, but if I were to encourage each one individually, I would call to their attention a few (but important) areas.
If you have friends (*cough*) that are girls, then you should encourage them to do the same. It sounds WAY different when you encourage, than when another girl does. Point them to Christ, the lover of their souls. Do NOT pretend you are the mature spiritual leader they need. In all honestly, you are probably 2-3 years out of high school. Does that sound like spiritual maturity to you? Does that sound like you have life pretty much figured out? No, you don't. God blesses us with life experience for us to become more like Christ. Therefore, be careful with your sisters. They want a mature spiritual leader, you're time will come later, but not now. Right now, you are called to live in a season of singleness, to ultimately become like Christ.
Not to leave you hopeless, but God will make it CLEAR AS DAY who you should be spending your time getting to know. This is a mutual thing that God makes happen (from both sides, your's and her's). Don't rush, don't worry. God knows what He's doing.
Brother, the goal is to be more like Christ. It's that simple.
With Joy,
I see these guys everyday. I love the fact that they do indeed try, but if I were to encourage each one individually, I would call to their attention a few (but important) areas.
Be Consistent
Consistency is something VERY close to my heart. I love knowing that God is consistent. I have no worries regarding what He thinks of me, or whether or not I've earned His love for today. Therefore, it is important that you are developing consistency in your life. Now, consistency does not mean you should consistently be late, or sleep in, or keeping your habits of laziness. Consistency means that when you are hanging out with your friends, you are encouraging them. Consistency is a big indicator of your character. Although you are at war with the flesh and the world, you are relying upon God's strength to be the same person behind closed doors and out in public. Consistency means that you are striving to have a daily quiet time. You want to consistently grow in your walk with Christ.
Work Hard
If you are not making good grades right now, then you need to get on that. Do you really think that the lightbulb will come on when you are in Seminary? It's going to get harder Buddy! If you aren't working hard for the grades you have right now, how do you think that translates to your teachers? Or your future wife? Pastors spend around 40+ hours a week STUDYING. You are going to be held to a higher standard. If you don't understand, ask. Get some help with homework while you can.
Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness. (James 3:1 ESV)
Stop Wife Hunting
Please. just. stop. Flirting is not your number 1 concern. Your number 1 concern is to LOVE GOD. Seriously! I know, the girls on campus will get annoyed that you aren't giving them your attentions. But in all reality, you should keep ignoring them. (Spoken from a girl who would like to be married one day). I don't know who my future spouse is, but I do know that you do not know either.If you have friends (*cough*) that are girls, then you should encourage them to do the same. It sounds WAY different when you encourage, than when another girl does. Point them to Christ, the lover of their souls. Do NOT pretend you are the mature spiritual leader they need. In all honestly, you are probably 2-3 years out of high school. Does that sound like spiritual maturity to you? Does that sound like you have life pretty much figured out? No, you don't. God blesses us with life experience for us to become more like Christ. Therefore, be careful with your sisters. They want a mature spiritual leader, you're time will come later, but not now. Right now, you are called to live in a season of singleness, to ultimately become like Christ.
Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. This is my rule in all the churches. (1 Corinthians 7:17 ESV)
Not to leave you hopeless, but God will make it CLEAR AS DAY who you should be spending your time getting to know. This is a mutual thing that God makes happen (from both sides, your's and her's). Don't rush, don't worry. God knows what He's doing.
Brother, the goal is to be more like Christ. It's that simple.
With Joy,