Is it worth it? Ecclesiastes 11:9 & 12:1

High school and middle school students burden me. Not simply because they are the two main student groups I minister to, but also because of the life stage in which they are currently experiencing. As a young adult myself,  I have just completed these seasons and know very well the complications, the consequences, and the general confusion of my decisions (and making them). There were times when I honestly thought "Is living for God really worth it?" "Why is it so important that I make a good choice in ________ rather than doing what I want?" "Why can't I just be a teenager!?!" 

There was something stopping me, causing me to reevaluate my choices. That was the Holy Spirit, being patient and protecting me. Sure, there were moments when I ignored the Holy Spirit. Was I broken over those choices? Yes. 

Yesterday I read this verse:

“Rejoice, O young man, in your youth, and let your heart cheer you in the days of your youth. Walk in the ways of your heart and the sight of your eyes. But know that for all these things God will bring you into judgment.”
Ecclesiastes 11:9 ESV

There is nothing wrong with living life. There is something terribly wrong when you ignore God's protective barriers to live it. With social media being what it is, and the addictive nature of it, there needs to be safeguards. There needs to be a biblical principle for how to respond to it all. 

The very next chapter of Eccelsiastes has this little gem:

Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come and the years draw near of which you will say, “I have no pleasure in them”;”
Ecclesiastes 12:1 ESV

How can we then respond appropriately? How then can we live a life that glorifies God? Remember your Creator in the days of your youth. I would take it one step at a time, remember your creator in your days. Will there be days where we might forget our creator? Yes. Will there be days where our heart (and our lusts) crave something else? Yes. How then can we live? Remember your creator.




Popular posts from this blog

Listening.

Future Pastor, or Ministry Leader {This One's for You}

You've been assigned.. 1 Corinthians 7:17