Distance- seeing the good from far away
I am at a point in my life where all my friends are distant. I really just have family. Don't get me wrong, I love my family, and I love spending time with them. There's just nothing like spending time with friends that can really touch your soul, lift your spirit, and breath life into your bones. Those moments, the really great friend moments have been very few and far between. My kindred spirit lives clear on the other side of the United States, my laugh till I hurt friends live in the lower half of the state, and my closest friends from high school are either married or work like 3 jobs. Not to mention, my boyfriend is distant too, living more than 150 miles away (and always busy, might I add). When it comes to friends, I don't have active ones, life is just in the way, and makes friendship distant.
This is where I'm at. This is where I find the truth of having not only a friend in Christ, but more than a friend, a companion, a confidant, a kindred spirit. Jesus Christ is not my friend. He is so much more than that. There are days when I just need a sweet spirit, I have the Holy Spirit, who calms my soul, and lifts me up. Sometimes I need reminders of why distance is necessary. To help us treasure what we have been so graciously given.
I love seeing my boyfriend, it's wonderful! But it's even more so when I haven't seen him for weeks (or even months). It is then when my heart is so overwhelmed with thanksgiving that I cannot even fathom being upset (about anything). It's only until after he's left, when the distance sets in and in anticipation I gladly wait for the next reunion. This works the same with my other friends as well, it causes me to stop and treasure them, to love them, to cherish them, because I honestly don't know when the next moment will be.
So before you go and complain about the distance, or you're starting to feel the distance. Remember: distance causes us to look towards Christ, and then we can treasure our sweet gifts on earth.