The Second to Last Step




Do you remember as a kid you would jump from one pillow to the next as the "lava" floor was all around you? Or even the jump right before the last hop in hopscotch? How about all those times when you counted the steps as you when up (or down) the stairs?

Did you ever think that those hops, jumps, or steps would translate to adult life? Instead of physically jumping, now our hearts do the jumping. From one relationship to the next, jumping, then landing until you land on the one with whom you spend the remainder of your life with. 

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately. Seeing so many sweet friends get engaged, or married it seems like they are landing on the last stone. Particularly, I have been the second to last stone twice. At two different points in time, I was their crush. And now I rejoice with them as they land on the last stone. Now, one is married, and the other is engaged. Do I long to be the last stone in someone's life? Yes! But this weird moment that I realized that I was the second to last stone in their lives is a picture of God's love toward me.

It's always nice to know that you are liked. I mean really, everyone likes being liked. Spending time with someone, noticing their little and quiet ways of winning your heart is one of the sweetest gifts. But when they never tell you, it can be frustrating. However, God in his loving kindness prevented those words from escaping mouths, to protect their hearts so they may give it to the last stone. How awesome is that? Not only for their sake, but mine as well! That God would prevent from crushes becoming more that I may give my love to my last stone. 

If you may think you could be the second to last stone, understand this, God is protecting you with great care. He is allowing you to be a brush in His collection to give the finishing touches. What an honor and what a privilege. Rather than complaining, or worse, letting your heart become bitter, remember that God is allowing you to see these light reminders of his love. He is our rock, not just a stone. But a picture of his love for his church is marriage on earth. With every jump, every hop, every step, we must remember that these movements are making us more like Christ.





Now, if you are a teenager, or young adult reading this, I am not saying that you need to be a dating expert. Giving pieces of your heart away to just anybody. What I am saying is that as you notice people coming in and out of your life, don't harden your heart and claim that you're never going to love. That is dumb, so stop. Take note that there is only ONE last stone, ONE last step, ONE future spouse. God is sanctifying you. Look to him for the ultimate love.

Now, if you have already been married, and you're reading this. My encouragement to you is, God has allowed you to experience life with a Last Stone. Cherish them, love them. They have gone through many a life experience without you, but they'd more than likely rather be with you. God has given you a great gift. One that is a picture of His love for the church.

If your last stone is no longer with you, God may give you another last stone. But while you're waiting keep seeking Him, the one who has loved you since the beginning of time. Have a tender heart.



Popular posts from this blog

Listening.

Future Pastor, or Ministry Leader {This One's for You}

You've been assigned.. 1 Corinthians 7:17