Just one touch.. (Mark 5:25-34)

Just being honest, I tend to pay closer attention to when the Bible is talking about ladies. Whether it's an historical figure, or laws specifically for women. Today I was reading Leviticus 15, you can read it for yourself. Now, instead of thinking "why is God so specific about uncleaness like that?". I immediately thought of the woman with the discharge of blood. This account is mentioned in 3 of the 4 Gospels, do you suppose that it might be an important one? (See Matthew 9:20-22; Mark 5:25-34; Luke 8:43-48)


Think about this for a moment, this woman, who has been declared "unclean" for 12 long years. Spent everything she had on medical bills, treatments, and more than likely clothes (because all of her's were stained).

She was hopeless. Thinking she could never be "clean". Never being able to worship at the synagogue. Never being able to take part in the feasts, but being considered an outcast by her own people. 

In comes Jesus.

((Now, this is the part when it gets really good. It's ALWAYS the part that is really good! ))

The Great Physician. The one who came for the sick, the unclean, and the outcasts. Comes into town. Now, just imagine, this woman, who has been unclean and sick for 12 years. Hears that Jesus, the great prophet, the "Son of God" comes into town.

I don't know this for a fact, but these could probably be some thoughts that would run through her mind..

"Maybe, just maybe, Jesus could heal me.."
"Would I make Him unclean?"
"Would He even bother?"
 "If Jesus is who He says He is, then I know He could heal me."
"How will I know? I have nothing to lose. I'm already an outcast, I've tried all the treatments."

Now, if she even had a family, or friends, they would have dismissed her thoughts. Of course, because according to Leviticus 15 (which they were all taught) that is where they would base their judgement from.

"You are too unclean."
"You might make Him unclean."
"Don't touch Him, He has other things He has to do."

Here is where faith comes in. She believed that Christ could heal her. Now, the Bible does not say there was opposition, but it wouldn't be a far off guess if there was. She still believed.

She believed that Jesus was who He said He was.



And there was a woman who had had a discharge of blood for twelve years, and who had suffered much under many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was no better but rather grew worse. She had heard the reports about Jesus and came up behind him in the crowd and touched his garment. For she said, “If I touch even his garments, I will be made well.” And immediately the flow of blood dried up, and she felt in her body that she was healed of her disease. And Jesus, perceiving in himself that power had gone out from him, immediately turned about in the crowd and said, “Who touched my garments?” And his disciples said to him, “You see the crowd pressing around you, and yet you say, ‘Who touched me?’” And he looked around to see who had done it. But the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came in fear and trembling and fell down before him and told him the whole truth. And he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace, and be healed of your disease.”

(Mark 5:25-34 ESV)


 In my own life, I need reminders like this. To remember, that I too was once unclean. Christ healed me, and BECAUSE OF HIM, I can worship, be apart of a family, His.

I hope this is an encouragement to you, as it is to me.



With Joy,



 post signature

Popular posts from this blog

Listening.

Future Pastor, or Ministry Leader {This One's for You}

You've been assigned.. 1 Corinthians 7:17