All the Days of Her Life... {Proverbs 31:12}







This morning I was struck with a very profound verse. Located in the elusive Proverbs 31. As a female, I want to be like the woman mentioned in that chapter. As a sinful human, I know I can't. But if I could offer any encouragement to you, I would hope that this would be it.

She does him good, and not harm,
    all the days of her life. Proverbs 31:12 (ESV)
Before I delve into this verse, I need to made a few points..

You will never be the Proverbs 31 Woman. That sounds harsh, and quite frankly, it is. But apart from Christ, you will NEVER be her. In Christ, your goal is not to be the Proverbs 31 woman, but to be like Christ. For HE who conquered death, who is perfect, lives in you. You are not called to be the Proverbs 31 woman, you are called to be holy.

As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance,  but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,  since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” 1 Peter 1:14-16 (ESV)

He has made you holy. Think about that for a moment.  Do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance.. You have been rescued from death, from eternal separation from God. You were subjected to worshiping idols, ones your heart makes on a continual basis. But God has cleansed you.

 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you. Ezekiel 36:25 (ESV)

You have meaning, purpose, and identity in Christ. This is why remembering and living in light of the Gospel is so important! Christ who is fully God and fully man, lived a perfect sinless life. Died in my stead that I may have a relationship with God the Father. Christ rose again from the grave, that I may have eternal life.

Now, with that thought in mind, let's go back to  Proverbs 31:12...

She does him good, and not harm,
    all the days of her life. Proverbs 31:12 (ESV)
The "him" is referring to the woman's husband. Now, I am not married (I pray one day to be). When I look at my future husband, I would hope that I do him good. That I challenge him to be more like Christ. That he is encouraged to be the leader in our relationship.

However, I have failed.

The "...all the days of her life..." part is not something I am proud of. Honestly, Satan kicks my behind with this often. But what is the truth?

- Christ died for me, and I have the honor of living for him.
- He has made me holy, and cleansed me.
- My identity is not found in my past, it is found in Christ. 

Living Proverbs 31:12 is indeed attainable, all the days of your life. Realizing and understanding that God is in the continual process of changing you.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,  looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-2 (ESV)

 
 Don't shy away from the mountains, but understand that every grasp of air you take is a reminder that God is the one who gives you breath. 





post signature

Popular posts from this blog

Listening.

Future Pastor, or Ministry Leader {This One's for You}

You've been assigned.. 1 Corinthians 7:17