Glorify - Together
For the past few months, I have been learning about what grace looks like in friendships. Also, I've been learning what a God-glorifying friendship looks like and the value of such friends. Honestly, in my mind, the only logical way to communicate these highly valued lessons is to write as I would a letter. I hope this brings you encouragement and insight as to what our daily lives should (doesn't mean they do!) look like.
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
Let me put this before you, out in the open.
I am a sinner.
I am warning you now, that I am gross, I make strange noises (which we will not get into detail), and on top of that, I am not attractive (put together) 100% of the time. I will fail you. Praise GOD HE DOES NOT FAIL US.
But, there is some very good news.
I have been redeemed.
Don't let me forget that. Because I will. I will forget that the one who loves my soul, the one who deserves all my praise, has purchased me. As a fellow sibling in Christ, the best thing you can do for me, is to point me right back to our Father.
As simple as that.
This will mean, however, that there will be moments where my heart is broken, where I need a good "slap upside the head". I will need to be reminded, that this life is not about loving myself (which I can do just fine), but rather, loving God. There will be times, where I suffer from a lapse in judgement and those are the times when I desperately need truth.
Hear me out on this though, when you deliver truth, let it be because you love God, then me. That you do not wish to see my destruction, but rather restoration happen between me and the Lord. And, ultimately, that I become more like Christ.
Because relationships (real ones) are not one-sided, here is what will happen for you. Additionally, all the things I ask for, by God's grace, and strength, I will do the same for you.
I will tell you the truth.
Not because I love you, but rather, because I love God, and He loves you. When I function according to God's love, the truth that applies to you is delivered in love. Now, I am not perfect, but being made perfect through Christ.
I will communicate.
When the Lord lays something on my heart regarding you, I'm going to tell you about it. When acts of kindness happen in your favor, just take it.
Let's live for Christ together.
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
Let me put this before you, out in the open.
I am a sinner.
I am warning you now, that I am gross, I make strange noises (which we will not get into detail), and on top of that, I am not attractive (put together) 100% of the time. I will fail you. Praise GOD HE DOES NOT FAIL US.
But, there is some very good news.
I have been redeemed.
Don't let me forget that. Because I will. I will forget that the one who loves my soul, the one who deserves all my praise, has purchased me. As a fellow sibling in Christ, the best thing you can do for me, is to point me right back to our Father.
As simple as that.
This will mean, however, that there will be moments where my heart is broken, where I need a good "slap upside the head". I will need to be reminded, that this life is not about loving myself (which I can do just fine), but rather, loving God. There will be times, where I suffer from a lapse in judgement and those are the times when I desperately need truth.
Faithful are the wounds of a friend;
profuse are the kisses of an enemy. (Proverbs 27:6, ESV)
Hear me out on this though, when you deliver truth, let it be because you love God, then me. That you do not wish to see my destruction, but rather restoration happen between me and the Lord. And, ultimately, that I become more like Christ.
Because relationships (real ones) are not one-sided, here is what will happen for you. Additionally, all the things I ask for, by God's grace, and strength, I will do the same for you.
I will tell you the truth.
Not because I love you, but rather, because I love God, and He loves you. When I function according to God's love, the truth that applies to you is delivered in love. Now, I am not perfect, but being made perfect through Christ.
I will communicate.
When the Lord lays something on my heart regarding you, I'm going to tell you about it. When acts of kindness happen in your favor, just take it.
Let's live for Christ together.