The Shepherd and His Lame Sheep (revisited with a new perspective)
In order to best understand where I am coming from and expounding on a previous thought, please take a minute to read part one and then read this post. (:
The Shepherd and His Lame Sheep
6 In that day, declares the Lord,(Micah 4:6-8 ESV)
I will assemble the lameand gather those who have been driven awayand those whom I have afflicted;7 and the lame I will make the remnant,and those who were cast off, a strong nation;and the Lord will reign over them in Mount Zionfrom this time forth and forevermore.8 And you, O tower of the flock,hill of the daughter of Zion,to you shall it come,the former dominion shall come,kingship for the daughter of Jerusalem.
2 But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah,(Micah 5:2-4 ESV) *Emphasis added*
who are too little to be among the clans of Judah,from you shall come forth for meone who is to be ruler in Israel,whose coming forth is from of old,from ancient days.3 Therefore he shall give them up until the timewhen she who is in labor has given birth;then the rest of his brothers shall returnto the people of Israel.4 And he shall stand and shepherd his flock in the strength of the Lord,in the majesty of the name of the Lord his God.And they shall dwell secure, for now he shall be greatto the ends of the earth.
If you read the part one of this post, Micah 4:6 would jump out at you. In the book of John, Jesus is talking to all of these invalids (lame, broken, sinful people) and targets their problem. Not having a relationship with Him! They did not recognize Him as their King, their Redeemer.
Fyi, I am about to type in all caps. This is exciting stuff. (:
WE CAN HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WITH THE KING OF THE UNIVERSE. I don't know if that blows your mind like it blows mine. But every time that thought crosses my mind, I am immediately put in my place, I am an invalid, and there is nothing I can do to save myself. The only one who can do anything, is the one who made everything. I can have a relationship with the one who became helpless, became an "invalid" on my behalf, so that I might have life.
GOD BECAME MAN.
There is no person, who was ever created who can do this ---> shepherd his flock in the strength of the Lord, in the majesty of the name of the Lord his God, in absolute perfection other than God.
That baby, that we celebrate at Christmas time? God in flesh. Our shepherd who became invalid, lame, on behalf of His sheep. That is the reason why we celebrate.
With Joy,