Trust: where does the issue lie?
Trust is one of the biggest issues that I've noticed in our generation. We hurt each other, we lie to each other, and we wonder why we struggle with trust. But, I tell you, I am starting to believe that trusting people is not the issue, it's trusting God.
In Job, Eliphaz (one of Job's "Friends") is accusing Job of not fearing God. Now Job feared the Lord, He was an excellent example of a God-Fearer. However, Eliphaz makes this point:
Let him not trust in emptiness, deceiving himself,
for emptiness will be his payment.
(Job 15:31 ESV)
Emptiness will be his payment. Do you realize that we are empty without God? We are nothing, a useless nobody without God, and His love.
(1 Corinthians 13:2 AMP)And if I have prophetic powers (the gift of interpreting the divine will and purpose), and understand all the secret truths and mysteries and possess all knowledge, and if I have [sufficient] faith so that I can remove mountains, but have not love (God’s love in me) I am nothing (a useless nobody).
What am I trying to say here?
The issue is not trusting people, it's trusting God and what He is doing in His People. Because the fact is, we will be let down, period. We will be disappointed in those we care about and those we love. But, it is understanding the fact that God is at work in them and He is renewing them, and loving them, and molding them (as well as ourselves) into the image of Christ.
Over and over again we are reminded to trust in the Lord, trust in His name. Is this why we struggle? Because we are trusting in the creation rather than the creator? Look it up, Psalms tells us so many times to Trust in God.
Honestly, it makes me wonder why my Country is in shambles... We aren't trusting in God. The motto on our money is no longer valid.
It is better to take refuge in the LORD
than to trust in man.
It is better to take refuge in the LORD
than to trust in princes.
(Psalm 118:8-9 ESV)
By the way, it's repeated for a reason. (:
Next time you decide to put your trust in man, realize this, it is better much, much better to trust in God. To place your trust in the fact that He is at work in that person. So that when they let you down, your trust does not wavier, because your trust is in the Lord and He is at work.
This is hard. Because so often I place my trust where doesn't belong. So, make this a prayer, I definitely am.